SERVPRO was called out to a water loss at a home in Victor, ID. The main valve on one of the bathtubs failed and flooded the bathroom. They had to remove the tile and backed board so they could remove the affected subflooring.
It is very important that whenever there is a leak you are always sure to check for moisture or mold. Moisture that is left untreated can result in mold. If mold occurs then there will be a hole new set of obstacles that will arise. Mold is very dangerous to your health and can form fairly quickly. It takes 24 to 48 hours for mold to germinate and grow. Typically, the spores begin to colonize in 3 to 12 days and become visible in about 18-21 days.
If you have a Fire, Water, Mold or Asbestos Disaster give SERVPRO a call today at (208) 523-5365.
We are available 24hours a day, 7 days a week!
Ride for 22
SERVPRO is so excited to be a part of this amazing event this upcoming Labor Day weekend! The UTV Invasion happens every year around Labor Day in the St. Anthony’s Dunes. There are thousands of people who attend this 5-day event and it is growing every year. SERVPRO has decided to set up a charity raffle in honor of an amazing organization that means so much to all of our employees called Ride for 22.
Ride For 22® is a non-profit 501c3 organization who cares deeply and passionately about serving our nation’s military and their families. Our mission states we will do three things: spread awareness of PTS and educate the public, serve as a living memorial and provide support and comfort to the loved ones left behind. We hope to accomplish this mission in several ways; participating in ride events, recruiting other riders to join us in raising awareness, being visible at events such as ride’s and health expos, networking families to help each other through the grieving process, help with ride registration fees for veterans battling PTS or the families of those who have lost the battle, share helpful resources to help those suffering or dealing with loss, and much more. Our hope by raising awareness and educating the public is that we can help eliminate some of the stigma that surrounds military PTS and allow for veterans to seek and receive the help and social support they so desperately need and reduce the number 22 to 0.
Mold in the drywall
Eric and Justin went to Alpine over the weekend to look at the crawl space in a home that’s still under construction. Because the floor joists were not sealed correctly when they were installed by a different company, mold had begun to grow and water was beginning to seep in through the foundation.
Mold can be very dangerous and go almost unnoticed in some instances. Mold will grow in places with a lot of moisture, such as around leaks in roofs, windows, or pipes, or where there has been flooding. Mold grows well on paper products, cardboard, ceiling tiles, and wood products. Mold can also grow in dust, paints, wallpaper, insulation, drywall, carpet, fabric, and upholstery.
If you suspect you may have mold growth in your home or business please give SERVPRO a call today at (208) 523-5365. We are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week for all of your fire, water, mold and asbestos needs.
4th of July
It’s that time of year again… the 4th of July!! As much fun as this holiday can be, it can also cause a lot of disasters. Did you know that thousands of people every year, mostly children and teens, are injured while using or being around fireworks. www.nfpa.com has some scary but useful facts we should all be aware of.
Fireworks by the numbers
- Fireworks start an average of 18,500 fires per year, including 1,300 structure fires, 300 vehicle fires, and 16,900 outside and other fires. These fires caused an average of three deaths, 40 civilian injuries, and an average of $43 million in direct property damage.
- In 2017, U.S. hospital emergency rooms treated an estimated 12,900 people for fireworks related injuries; 54% of those injuries were to the extremities and 36% were to the head. Children younger than 15 years of age accounted for more than one-third (36%) of the estimated 2017 injuries. These injury estimates were obtained or derived from the Consumer Product Safety Commission’s 2015 Fireworks Annual Report by Yongling Tu.
Fire = Soot
Fire disasters not only cause FAST damage but it also causes lasting damage. When you have a fire in your home or business it is not just the flames that are dangerous, it is the smoke as well. We have specialized trained employees who take their time to make sure there is absolutely no remains of soot on your personal belongings after your fire disaster.
- Dry Cleaning - Used for cleaning light residues or to pre-clean prior to wet cleaning.
- Wet Cleaning - An effective cleaning method for removing moderate to heavy residues.
- Spray and Wipe -Effective for items that can’t withstand wet cleaning.
- Foam Cleaning - Used for upholstery fabrics that might shrink or bleed if wet cleaned.
- Abrasive Cleaning - Involves agitation of the surface being cleaned.
- Immersion Cleaning - Contents are dipped into a bath of the cleaning product.
We here at SERVPRO know how devastating a water, fire, mold, or asbestos disaster can be and we are dedicated to helping you get through it. Give us a call today at (208) 523-5365. We are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
Flood cuts and drywall
Hanna and Justin were doing flood cuts on the drywall and will be pulling the wet insulation out of a house in Rexburg. It happened after the rain storm we had last week.
Rain storms can cause a lot of damage for home owners and it can come so fast and so unexpected you may not know what to do. On www.hunker.com they reveal why it is a good idea to do a flood cut if your drywall gets wet.
If the drywall is exposed to a large amount of water over an extended period, it will become irreparably ruined. A steady leak or flood damage are common examples. Even after it dries, the drywall will not return to its original shape. Instead it will be clearly warped and discolored. Applying firm pressure will cause it to crumble into a dense, chalky powder. Remove the drywall promptly, dry the surroundings and then install a new sheet. Moisture-damaged drywall is not simply an eyesore, but it's also a health hazard.
With a little bit of water, drywall can become an ideal environment for mold. Even after drying it out, if mold has taken root, it will persist. In mild cases, the mold will cause discoloration and an unpleasant smell. In extreme cases, such as with black mold, it can negatively affect the health of those nearby. Symptoms include red and irritated eyes, sneezing, headaches and a host of respiratory problems. If drywall shows signs of mold infestation, remove it immediately.
SERVPRO is not only known for their restoration skills but we also clean the homes and businesses contents that go through a fire, water, mold and asbestos disasters.
Cleaning contents is an extremely important part of the entire process. Our first step in this process is taking a complete detailed inventory of all belongings affected. We safely pack them and bring them to our facility where we start the next process. We then meticulously and carefully clean every item by hand until we are 100% satisfied with the item. We also have products we use to neutralize odors like smoke smell so that there are no odors left on the items.
SERVPRO is dedicated to making your home or business look as if your disaster never happened. We are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. If you have a fire, water, mold or asbestos disaster give SERVPRO call today.
Easter Egg Hunt
SERVPRO of Idaho Falls is dedicated to being their for our community whenever we are able to do so. Recently we donated a bike to an Easter event in Rexburg, ID.
Rexburg Community Easter Egg Hunt 2019
The Rexburg Area Chamber of Commerce in partnership with Rexburg Kiwanis and First American Title will host the annual Easter Egg Hunt on Saturday, April 20th.
Taking place at Porter Park, The Easter Egg Hunt will begin at 10 a.m. and will feature 19,009 eggs for children ages 12 and under to collect.
Easter Eggs will include candy and certificates for up to 865 prizes. Some of the awards can consist of kites, puzzle games, punch balloons, and bicycles donated by various businesses and individuals.
In addition, the Easter egg bunny will be making an appearance during the event starting at 9:15 a.m. At 10:00 a.m. Guests are encouraged to arrive 15-20 minutes early as to avoid missing out on this wonderful event.
Gotta clean those floors
In this photo Carlos and Adrian were pulling out a cabinet on a water loss job. They did this so they could pull the flooring and dry the affected areas.
www.lowes.com suggests that the damage that water causes, it can encourage the growth of mold on walls and floors — where it's readily visible — and in ductwork, attics and crawl spaces — where you might not notice it. A musty odor is a sign that mold may be present.
Additional Tips to Avoid Water Damage
- Have your attic ventilation and insulation inspected annually and seal gaps that allow warm air into the attic — such as those around access doors and light fixtures. When warm air collects in the attic, it can lead to the formation of an ice dam — ice around the eaves that causes water from melting snow and ice to back up under the shingles and leak into your home.
- If you have a sump pump, test it several times during the year. Follow the manufacturer's maintenance instructions.
- Check your water pressure with a pressure gauge; typically these screw onto a hose bib. The pressure in an average home is around 50 to 70 pounds per square inch (psi). Higher pressure causes extra stress on pipes and fittings and can lead to leaks.
- Inspect tile and grout around showers and tubs. Make any necessary repairs. Read Replace a Broken Ceramic Tile and Repair Tile Groutfor step-by-step instructions.
- Check for leaks around windows during rains and seal any you find.
- Use exhaust fans in the kitchen and bathroom to move excess moisture out of the house. Moisture in the air can condense on cool surfaces and cause problems. Read Controlling Moisture and Humidity in the Home for more ways to reduce indoor moisture.
- Locate your water shut-off valve so you can quickly turn off water to the home in an emergency. See Shut Off Your Home Water Supply for instructions on locating the valve.
If you have a fire, water, mold or asbestos disaster give SERVPRO a call today at (208) 523-5365.
This photo shows one of our Marketing/Sales Reps Corey got to go around to local fire departments and hand out these amazing Fire Bags our Marketing Department has put together for families in need! SERVPRO knows how unexpected fires can be and wanted to find a way to help families in our communities. We decided to put bags together that the fire departments could hand out to families after they have a fire disaster. With the help of donations, we have been able to put together more than 100 bags so far!
The contents of these bags include toiletries, towels, paper, pens, Chapstick, coloring books and many other items families may need if they experience a fire disaster in their home.
If you have a fire, water, mold or asbestos disaster give SERVPRO a call today at (208) 523-5365. We are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week!