If you have a fire or water emergency, please call us now at (208) 523-5365

To have the optimal experience while using this site, you will need to update your browser. You may want to try one of the following alternatives:

Fire & Water - Cleanup & Restoration

Grease Fire Tips

12/22/2017 (Permalink)

This SERVPRO reported loss was caused by a careless cook. 

A basement apartment was recently rented to a first time young resident with little cooking skills.

The resident was cooking bacon for the first time on her new stove.  The bacon grease caught on fire and the ensuing flames rose towards the ceiling. 

The heat from the fire melted the face of the microwave above the stove and the cabinets began to smolder. 

The ceiling had acoustic cork tiles that absorbed a lot of the smoke and needed to be removed.

While the fire was contained to the stove area the smoke traveled through each of the basement bedrooms and also in the stairwell leading up to the main level.

SERVPRO tips for grease fires

  • Cover the fire with a large metal lid
  • If there's no lid nearby, douse the fire with salt or baking soda
  • Turn off the heat source if possible
  • As a last resort, use a fire extinguisher

Other News

View Recent Posts