If you have a fire or water emergency, please call us now at (208) 523-5365

To have the optimal experience while using this site, you will need to update your browser. You may want to try one of the following alternatives:

Fire & Water - Cleanup & Restoration

Preventing a Grease Fire in Idaho Falls

1/12/2017 (Permalink)

Grease Fires in Idaho are a High Fire Alert

SERVPRO Suggestions Concerning Grease Fires

Most often, grease fires happen when a pan is left on the stove unattended and for too long. Another way a grease fire can occur is when extra grease on the stove top or drip pan catches fire accidentally. Keeping these fires from happening is not hard if you stay in the kitchen while you are cooking, and take a few safety measures. A small mistake, however, can lead to the need for fire damage restoration from professionals such as SERVPRO. If the unthinkable does happen, our trained staff can help you to restore your home back to normal quickly.

Steps to Prevent Grease Fires
Always have a Class B Dry Chemical Fire Extinguisher close at hand, under the sink base cabinet, or in another reachable place. A small investment may save you a lot of money and also mitigate dangers caused by fires. As mentioned above, stay in the kitchen at all times when you are heating oil for pan-frying or deep-fat frying to prevent a grease fire. Leaving cooking unattended in your Idaho Falls home is the biggest reason for fires in the kitchen. Before you turn the heat on, also make sure that the burner on the stove top is cool. Clean any excess oil or grease spills from the drip pan around the burner, too.

Before you start, check out the heat ratings of the cooking oil. These indicate the maximum temperature the oil can be cooked at before it catches fire. For most vegetable oils, for example, this temperature is around 450 degrees Fahrenheit, while for animal oils this temperature is around 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Attach a thermometer to the side of the pot to keep track of the temperature of the oil. When it is close to its burning point, it will let off smoke and ruin the taste of your food. Turn off the heat if this happens, and carefully remove the pan from the burner to let it cool off.

Be careful when you are putting food into oil that is already hot. Use long utensils like tongs which let you gently insert the food without dropping it and splashing oil on yourself. Use a cover or lid to stop hot oil from splattering. Remove the lid carefully if you do have to stir the food, and put it back when you’ve finished. Also, as soon as any food or oil spills happen, clean them up.

If the grease does catch fire, do not ever try to move the pot or pan. Use a metal lid to cover the pan and shut off the supply of oxygen to the fire. A small fire contained inside the pan can be extinguished by putting baking soda on the fire until it burns out, but if you do not feel safe controlling it by yourself, exit the house immediately and call 911 for help. If your home does sustain fire damage, remember to give our technicians at SERVPRO a call right afterward. Remember, do not ever use water to put a grease fire out! This can cause the grease to splash and spread the fire further.

Accidents do still happen. If you experience a grease fire in your home and need fire damage repair, contact SERVPRO of Idaho Falls right away once the fire is out. We can be reached at any time by dialing (208) 523-5365.

Other News

View Recent Posts